Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bumbo Seat Recall

I was disappointed to hear on the radio today that the bumbo seat has been recalled. I used one of these for my younger son in 2005 and I absolutely loved it! The chair allowed him to be in a sitting position before he was strong enough to sit unassisted. It gave him another perspective of play. I do remember however that he was only able to use it for a few months because he became too strong for it and was able to move around.

The reason for the recall is that some babies have wiggled out of the seats and have fallen and suffered skull fractures. I think that the chair is safe if the child is supervised and placed on the floor only. Apparently some people have placed the chair on high surfaces such as counters and tables. People should never underestimate the strength of their baby and its ability to move around.

The manufacturer of Bumbo is sending out a repair kit to those who fill out a form on their website. The repair kit includes new warning stickers and a restraint belt with installation instructions. Hopefully people will be able to install the belts properly. If you need to order your repair kit please click here.

All seats manufactured after today will have the restraint belts installed. To read CBC's report of the recall, please click here.






Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Me too! I love the Bumbo, and there's no way I'm going to bother with the recall kit if I have another child. I mean really, people! Don't put your kids in it on an elevated surface. The warning label was pretty clear to me, and wouldn't have done it anyway. Because that's just dumb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why they do recalls on products like that?

    Marms

    ReplyDelete