Sunday, January 31, 2016

Interval Training

Bookmark and Share


I started going to the gym for the first time in my life about 4 months ago. When I started working out I thought it would be a big challenge to motivate myself to go.  As it turned out, that wasn't the case because I love going to the gym and really notice a difference when I miss a day out of my schedule.  It is the one place where I can get away from my phone, unplug and relieve daily stress.  At first I was going once a week but lately I have been going at least two times.  I do cardio on the ascent machine (ellyptical).  For the first few months, I was using the fat burn and manual settings.  I recently switched the setting to interval training and I have found that has made a big difference.  I am finally starting to see results and I tend not to gain as much water weight afterwards.  With interval training, low intensity is rotated with spurts of high intensity.  I really enjoy this type of workout because there is variety and the workout seems to go quicker.  I also get my heart rate up higher with this type of workout. My workout usually lasts between 40 and 50 minutes and I burn at least 400 calories.  My objective is for my body to keep burning calories after my workout and to increase my metabolism.  I found that my metabolism slows down each year after I reached 40.  I will post about this again in a couple of months to see if I continue to see results!